This absolutely AMAZING speech was delivered by a beautiful, bright, and passionately Pro-Life Teenager named Sara (last name withheld for privacy purposes). I met her and her wonderful mom, Kathy, at church this past year. She has given me permission to share her speech on this blog. Upon reading this, my hope is that you, too, will be filled with the same zeal to unabashedly speak out to protect the life of the pre-born child.
God Bless You! (and Thank You, Sara, for sharing this beautifully written message of hope. You are an inspiration!)
Speech and Drama I
At this very moment, as I am speaking right now, somewhere in the world, a baby is born. This baby has a beating heart, its own blood type and its own DNA. At that moment of birth, the newly born child is protected under the law. If the mother neglects it, she will be put under arrest. If she, or the father, or anyone for that matter harms it physically, they will be arrested. Why now? The baby's heart started beating eighteen days after conception, and it had its own DNA the minute of conception. So why isn't the baby protected under the law at that exact minute of formation? Why does the mother have a "choice" to kill her baby before it's born, if she will get arrested for killing it after?
Many people say "it's not alive" or, "it's not human." This has scientifically been proven false. It is made of cells. It obtains and uses energy. It grows and develops, and it responds and adapts to its environment. Fetuses have all the characteristics of living things, therefore they are alive. And yes, they are human. From the time of fertilization fetuses have their own DNA- their own 46 chromosomes; 23 from the mother and 23 from the father. Only humans have DNA with 46 chromosomes. That fact can not be argued. If your mother came home today, and decided to end your life, that would be murder, which is a federal crime. If the fetus is a living human being, abortion is murder.
"We have the right to privacy." "The Supreme Court made it legal." Those are two other arguments that are very popular among abortion supporters. We may have the right to privacy of what goes on in our personal lives, but with a limit. If a child is abused, or a woman is raped, in the privacy of their own home, that is still illegal, not to mention abortions take place in clinics and hospitals. And just because the Supreme Court made it legal does not mean it is ok. Hundreds of years ago the Supreme Court decided that African Americans were not human, therefore slavery was ok. Today, looking back on that decision of the Supreme Court, do you agree with them? I know I don't.
Some people ask, "But what about in cases of rape and incest?" There are many answers to that question. The first is another question. If a woman became pregnant due to rape or incest and decided to keep the baby, but after it was born decided she didn't want it any more and killed it, wouldn't that be illegal? Various people, even knowing this fact, still think abortion should be legal, but only in these cases. If this were true, many women would lie and say their child was conceived through one of these horrible acts. Incest can not be proven until late in the pregnancy and most abortions are done within the first three months. Rape can not always be proved either. While many acts of rape are very violent, many are not violent enough for there to be physical proof. Norma McCorvey, also known as Jane Roe from Roe vs. Wade, herself claimed she was raped, which is why she needed an abortion. Many months later she then revealed that the baby was conceived though an act of love by a man she thought she was in love with. If Jane Roe herself had lied about being raped, imagine the number of women that will lie if that is the only way they could legally terminate their pregnancy.
One percent of babies aborted are conceived through rape or incest, and another one percent are aborted because they have defects. Just because a child has a defect, or has a father who did a horrible thing, does not mean it deserves to be murdered. And what about the other 98 percent who have nothing wrong with them and were conceived through the own fault of the parents? There are so many people willing to adopt- so many men and women who can't have children of their own, and if the mother really will not be able to care for the child, then she should put it up for adoption, not kill it. The statement that it would be to embarrassing to carry a child full term if you were raped or if you are underage yes does make sense. It might be embarrassing, but think of all the children who throw temper tantrums in public when they don't get their way. If parents were aloud to kill their children just because they embarrassed them, well, that doesn't make much sense does it?
Some people say that if abortion is made illegal, women will resort to "back alley abortions." That's basically like saying, "Well, people will share needles, which could transmit deadly diseases, so lets make heroin legal so people can use their own needle." Doesn't make much sense does it, seeing that that wouldn't solve the problem of heroin abuse, that unfortunately many people have to deal with. Even abortions done in hospitals or abortion clinics are still very dangerous to the mother. Most abortive mothers suffer from severe mental and emotional problems. The number of suicides is six times greater for post-abortive mothers, then those who have given birth. They can also be physically harmed during and after the procedure. For example, one type, the saline solution injection that burns the babies skin can escape the womb and go into other parts of the woman's body. If the salt gets to the kidneys they will go into failure, which will most likely cause the death of the mother. Most types of abortions, especially ones done after the first trimester have consequences. Some may not be dire, such as continuous pain or nausea, and some may not appear right after the abortion. One instance of a consequence appearing after the abortion is linked with breast cancer. Studies show having an abortion can greatly increase a woman's chances of getting breast cancer, a deadly and horrible disease.
Since January 22, 1973 fifty million babies have been brutally murdered by doctors through abortion. That's approximately 1.3 million a year, and over 3000 a day. In comparison, that's about the combination of Scranton High and West Scranton High students being killed every day. Every year in the United States 4,000 people die from drowning, 6,000 from poisonings, 40,000 from car accidents, and 30,000 from suicides. That's 80,000 people. Multiply that by about thirteen, and you get the number of abortions preformed every year in our country alone. More babies are aborted in one year in the United States then all of the American casualties from every war our country has participated in combined. Abortion is murder.
Thursday, January 8, 2009
"I Am Personally Responsible for over 75,000 Abortions"
*This video was made during the campaign to ban abortion in South Dakota. Bernard Nathanson repented of his ways and has became Catholic.*
Catholic Colleges & Universities Loyal to the Magisterium of the Catholic Church
- Aquinas College (TN)
- Ave Maria (FL)
- Belmont Abbey College (NC)
- Benedictan College (KS)
- Campion College (Sydney, Australia)
- Catholic Distance University
- Christendom College (VA)
- College of Our Lady of Corpus Christi (TX)
- College of St. Thomas More (TX)
- Dominican House of Studies (Washington, D.C.)
- Franciscan University of Steubenville (OH)
- Holy Apostles Seminary and College (CT)
- John Paul II Institute for Studies on Marriage and Family (Washington, D.C.)
- Magdalen College (NH)
- Notre Dame Graduate School of Christendom College (VA)
- Saint Joseph's College of Maine (ME)
- Southern Catholic College (GA)
- St. Augustine Institute (CO)
- St. Gregory's University (OK)
- Thomas Aquinas College (CA)
- Thomas More College of Liberal Arts (LA)
- University of Sacramento (CA)
- Wyoming Catholic College (WY)
Randall Terry, founder Operation Rescue, addresses the assassination of George Tiller. Mr. Terry urges the pro-life movement to not surrender words and actions under the heavy opposition from child killers and the Obama administration.
- Women for Faith and Family
- One More Soul ~ Spreading the Truth about the Blessings of Children & the Harms of Contraception
- Pope Paul VI Institute ~ Authentically Catholic Medical Institute for Fertility Problems
- The Alexander House ~ For Rebuilding & Strengthening Marriages
- Edith Stein Foundation ~ Medical Information on Contraception & Fertility Issues
- Retrouvaille ~ For Troubled Marriages
- Couple to Couple League ~ Natural Family Planning
- Pope Paul VI: Humane Vitae
Abortion ~ Facts and Information
- Rachel's Vineyard is a safe place to renew, rebuild and redeem hearts broken by abortion. Weekend retreats offer you a supportive, confidential and non-judgmental environment where women and men can express, release and reconcile painful post-abortive emotions to begin the process of restoration, renewal and healing. It is therapy for the soul.
- Hope After Abortion ~ The Catholic Church's post-abortion ministry
- Silent No More Awareness ~ An effort to make the public aware of the devastation abortion brings to women, men, and families
- Feminists For Life
- Abortion Facts
- Overpopulation Myths
- Abortion and the Black Community: BlackGenocide.org
- Second Look Project ~ Encourages those who are "pro-choice" to take a second look at their position on abortion
- The Elliot Institute ~ The leader in research regarding the after effects of abortion on women and men
- Priests For Life
Pregnancy Help & Hotlines
Help for Addictions
- Government, Law, & Political Responsibility. Click HERE to contact White House, U.S. Senate, House of Reps, Supreme Court, etc. See also Suggestions for Effective Letter Writing
- FOCA FACT Sheet & In-Depth Info to help EDUCATE those around you about this radical law that will increase the number of abortions and make it even more UNSAFE for WOMEN.
- Federal Legislative Action Center: Contact your STATE Reps. HERE. ~ Plus much MORE to help INFORM us in this VITAL fight against FOCA ~ We must ACT NOW!!!
- Spiritually Adopt a Pre-born Baby Today! Click HERE to learn more.
- Begin Planned Parenthood Fraud Investigation in Your State! Click HERE for Details.
Go On Retreat!
- Casa Maria Convent & Retreat House ~ Located 1 mile from EWTN, The Sisters of the Eternal Word's apostolate is prayer, catechesis, and retreats. They invite zealous and excellent retreat masters to share with you their experience and knowledge of our holy Catholic Faith. Casa Maria is blessed with devout priests who celebrate the Liturgy with great reverence. They encourage devotion to the Blessed Sacrament and love of our Blessed Mother, and they draw upon the rich musical heritage of the Church.
- Sisters for Life ~ Villa Maria Guadalupe ~ The retreat house hosts Evenings of Recollection, educational seminars on life issues and retreats for everyone (themes include Theology of the Body, Young Adult Retreats, Post-Abortion Healing, and retreats on the Dignity and Vocation of Women).
Books for Children
More Recommended Reading
- Abortion: Yes or No? by John L. Grady, M.D.
- Changed ~ Making Sense of Your Own or a Loved One's Abortion Experience, by Michaelene Fredenburg
- Ending Abortion Not Just Fighting It, by Fr. Frank A. Pavone, M.E.V.
- Evangelium Vitae (The Gospel of Life), by Pope John Paul II
- God Is Love, An Encyclical Letter of Pope Benedict XVI
- Humane Vitae: A Challenge to Love, by Pope Paul VI
- Is the Fetus Human? by Eric Pastuszek
- Led by Faith, by Immaculee Ilibigiza
- Left to Tell, by Immaculee Ilibigiza
- Living the Gospel of Life ~ the pastoral statement issued by U.S. Catholic Bishops
- Noise, by Teresa Tomeo
- Our Lady of Guadalupe, Hope for the World by Dan Lynch
- Render Unto Caesar, by Charles J. Chaput
- The Way to Love, by Anthony De Mello
- Won By Love, by Norma McCorvey