Sunday, March 29, 2009
By Deacon Keith Fournier
Did Senator Casey decide he did not want to face the flood of protests which would accompany his address?
U.S. Sen. Robert Casey, D-Pa., has canceled his May 9 appearance without explanation. St. Vincent College spokesman Don Orlando says Casey gave no reason for canceling.
WASHINGTON (Catholic Online) - The Associated Press reported today that Senator Bob Casey Jr. has withdrawn from speaking at St. Vincent College commencement with no explanation.
Senator Bob Casey Jr.’s father, the late, former Governor of Pennsylvania, Bob Casey Sr., was denied a speaking role at the 1992 Democratic nomination convention. He was the last of an almost extinct breed of Democrats, those who consistently defend all of the poor, including those whom Mother Teresa called the “poorest of the poor”, children in the womb.
This champion of life, Senator Bob Casey Sr. once wrote concerning his own Party and its rejection of the Right to Life and embrace of abortion:
“It’s hard to think of anything more foreign to the principles of the Democratic Party or the whole American experience. Far from being “inclusive”, it excludes an entire class of fellow human beings from our care and protection. It’s the only “constitutional right” we’re ashamed of, avoiding the word abortion with contorted euphemisms like “reproductive rights” and “termination” and “evacuation”.
"Far from liberating women, abortion has become a lucrative industry, exploiting young women beyond anything ever imagined. When pregnancy comes at a difficult time, which is the worthier response of society: To surround mother and child alike with protection and love, or to hold out the cold comfort of an abortion clinic? Where is America’s true character to be seen- in an adoptive home or at the abortion clinic? In which role is a woman more empowered – giving life or taking it?
"These are questions that rest uneasily on the conscience of today’s Democratic Party. We have traded our principles for power – the fleeting power offered by loud and well financed factions like NARAL and Planned Parenthood…. "We can choose to extend once again the mantle of protection to all members of the human family, including the unborn. We can choose to provide effective care of mothers and children."”
Sadly, his son has not followed in his fathers footsteps. Neither has the Democratic Party.
Senator Bob Casey Jr. proclaims his pro-life credentials but fails to vote in a consistent manner to defend the fundamental right to life. He also missed an extraordinary opportunity to undo the injustice done to his father all those years ago at another Democratic Convention, when he spoke at the one in 2008. He failed to do so and many, including this writer, were deeply disappointed.
He has come under increasing criticism as he defends the Administrations indefensible anti-right to life agenda and is regularly rolled out as one of President Obama’s Catholic supporters.
Senator Casey has also been consistently and continually engaged by the Pro-Life community. Perhaps the strongest voice calling Senator Casey to consistency in his defense of life and fidelity to the teaching of the Catholic Church is his own Bishop Joseph Martino of Scranton, Pa., the courageous Defender of Life who has captured the deep admiration of so many.
Now, the AP Reports that “A Catholic college in western Pennsylvania is scrambling to find another commencement speaker because U.S. Sen. Robert Casey, D-Pa., has canceled his May 9 appearance without explanation….St. Vincent College spokesman Don Orlando says Casey gave no reason for canceling. Casey spokesman, Larry Smar, also didn't give a reason in an e-mail response to questions from the Pittsburgh Tribune-Review.
"Casey has been criticized by some conservative Catholic groups, including the Cardinal Newman Society, for his positions on federal funding of contraception and legalization of same-sex marriages. The Newman group protested when Casey spoke at Catholic University in 2006, where Casey received his law degree.”
Has Senator Casey decided he does not want to face the flood of protests which would accompany his address in light of the activities surrounding the invitation of President Obama to speak at Notre Dame? Was there a concern over the clear and courageous leadership of his own Bishop? Was he protecting his friend, the President, from possible ramifications such as another Catholic outcry against the administrations' anti-right to life positions?
Posted by Moms For Life at 6:58 AM
"I Am Personally Responsible for over 75,000 Abortions"
*This video was made during the campaign to ban abortion in South Dakota. Bernard Nathanson repented of his ways and has became Catholic.*
Catholic Colleges & Universities Loyal to the Magisterium of the Catholic Church
- Aquinas College (TN)
- Ave Maria (FL)
- Belmont Abbey College (NC)
- Benedictan College (KS)
- Campion College (Sydney, Australia)
- Catholic Distance University
- Christendom College (VA)
- College of Our Lady of Corpus Christi (TX)
- College of St. Thomas More (TX)
- Dominican House of Studies (Washington, D.C.)
- Franciscan University of Steubenville (OH)
- Holy Apostles Seminary and College (CT)
- John Paul II Institute for Studies on Marriage and Family (Washington, D.C.)
- Magdalen College (NH)
- Notre Dame Graduate School of Christendom College (VA)
- Saint Joseph's College of Maine (ME)
- Southern Catholic College (GA)
- St. Augustine Institute (CO)
- St. Gregory's University (OK)
- Thomas Aquinas College (CA)
- Thomas More College of Liberal Arts (LA)
- University of Sacramento (CA)
- Wyoming Catholic College (WY)
Randall Terry, founder Operation Rescue, addresses the assassination of George Tiller. Mr. Terry urges the pro-life movement to not surrender words and actions under the heavy opposition from child killers and the Obama administration.
- Women for Faith and Family
- One More Soul ~ Spreading the Truth about the Blessings of Children & the Harms of Contraception
- Pope Paul VI Institute ~ Authentically Catholic Medical Institute for Fertility Problems
- The Alexander House ~ For Rebuilding & Strengthening Marriages
- Edith Stein Foundation ~ Medical Information on Contraception & Fertility Issues
- Retrouvaille ~ For Troubled Marriages
- Couple to Couple League ~ Natural Family Planning
- Pope Paul VI: Humane Vitae
Abortion ~ Facts and Information
- Rachel's Vineyard is a safe place to renew, rebuild and redeem hearts broken by abortion. Weekend retreats offer you a supportive, confidential and non-judgmental environment where women and men can express, release and reconcile painful post-abortive emotions to begin the process of restoration, renewal and healing. It is therapy for the soul.
- Hope After Abortion ~ The Catholic Church's post-abortion ministry
- Silent No More Awareness ~ An effort to make the public aware of the devastation abortion brings to women, men, and families
- Feminists For Life
- Abortion Facts
- Overpopulation Myths
- Abortion and the Black Community: BlackGenocide.org
- Second Look Project ~ Encourages those who are "pro-choice" to take a second look at their position on abortion
- The Elliot Institute ~ The leader in research regarding the after effects of abortion on women and men
- Priests For Life
Pregnancy Help & Hotlines
Help for Addictions
- Government, Law, & Political Responsibility. Click HERE to contact White House, U.S. Senate, House of Reps, Supreme Court, etc. See also Suggestions for Effective Letter Writing
- FOCA FACT Sheet & In-Depth Info to help EDUCATE those around you about this radical law that will increase the number of abortions and make it even more UNSAFE for WOMEN.
- Federal Legislative Action Center: Contact your STATE Reps. HERE. ~ Plus much MORE to help INFORM us in this VITAL fight against FOCA ~ We must ACT NOW!!!
- Spiritually Adopt a Pre-born Baby Today! Click HERE to learn more.
- Begin Planned Parenthood Fraud Investigation in Your State! Click HERE for Details.
Go On Retreat!
- Casa Maria Convent & Retreat House ~ Located 1 mile from EWTN, The Sisters of the Eternal Word's apostolate is prayer, catechesis, and retreats. They invite zealous and excellent retreat masters to share with you their experience and knowledge of our holy Catholic Faith. Casa Maria is blessed with devout priests who celebrate the Liturgy with great reverence. They encourage devotion to the Blessed Sacrament and love of our Blessed Mother, and they draw upon the rich musical heritage of the Church.
- Sisters for Life ~ Villa Maria Guadalupe ~ The retreat house hosts Evenings of Recollection, educational seminars on life issues and retreats for everyone (themes include Theology of the Body, Young Adult Retreats, Post-Abortion Healing, and retreats on the Dignity and Vocation of Women).
Books for Children
More Recommended Reading
- Abortion: Yes or No? by John L. Grady, M.D.
- Changed ~ Making Sense of Your Own or a Loved One's Abortion Experience, by Michaelene Fredenburg
- Ending Abortion Not Just Fighting It, by Fr. Frank A. Pavone, M.E.V.
- Evangelium Vitae (The Gospel of Life), by Pope John Paul II
- God Is Love, An Encyclical Letter of Pope Benedict XVI
- Humane Vitae: A Challenge to Love, by Pope Paul VI
- Is the Fetus Human? by Eric Pastuszek
- Led by Faith, by Immaculee Ilibigiza
- Left to Tell, by Immaculee Ilibigiza
- Living the Gospel of Life ~ the pastoral statement issued by U.S. Catholic Bishops
- Noise, by Teresa Tomeo
- Our Lady of Guadalupe, Hope for the World by Dan Lynch
- Render Unto Caesar, by Charles J. Chaput
- The Way to Love, by Anthony De Mello
- Won By Love, by Norma McCorvey