Friday, July 17, 2009
'Wrongful Birth' Suit: Parents of Disabled Boy Sue Hospital for $2.3 Million Claiming Ultra-Sound Failure Robbed Them of Option to have an Abortion
Rupert Parsons' mother is claiming £1.5 million ($2.3 Million American Dollars) in interim compensation for "wrongful birth" on the grounds that the hospital should have picked up on his "severe, profound and multiple disabilities" before the 20th week of her pregnancy.
Rupert was born at Musgrove Park Hospital in his home town of Taunton, Somerset, suffering congenital heart defects, a cleft palate, a vertebral abnormality and with only one kidney.
Robin Oppenheim, QC, respresenting the family, told the High Court in London that the disabilities meant Rupert spent much of his time in a wheelchair. and needed 24-hour ventilation via a tracheotomy. He was also fed through a tube.
His devoted mother, Franchesca Parsons, 25, had the "extraordinarily demanding" task of caring for him, he added.
The court heard Rupert's father, Lee Barrett, suffered from congenital heart problems and his maternal grandmother was born with spina bifida.
A pre-natal scan was reported as showing "no obvious fetal abnormality" in Rupert, but the family claims more detailed tests would have picked up on the boy's disabilities before the 20th week of pregnancy.
Although Rupert was now a very much loved member of his family, his mother has sued the hospital's managers, Taunton and Somerset NHS Trust, arguing that she never had the option of terminating the pregnancy.
The family's lawyers said Rupert's parents were concerned throughout the pregnancy that he might be born disabled and did not want to see him suffer in the way his father had done.
Mr Oppenheim said the NHS had "admitted liability" in 2006, opening the way for a multi million pound compensation claim to cover the costs of a lifetime's care.
He added that it was too early to finally assess the compensation due to uncertainties over how Rupert's condition will develop as he grows up.
But in the meantime, Mr Oppenheim asked Mr Justice Blair to award an interim payment of pounds 1.5 million so that Rupert and his family could move to a more suitable home and put in place a professional care regime, with two nurses on hand day and night.
Mr Oppenheim told the judge that Rupert's family has already received pounds 500,000 in interim payments, but his current care regime only allowed for one carer to be on hand at night.
Mr Oppenheim said the family's most "pressing need" was to move to a new home which could be specially adapted for Rupert's care. The boy became "frustrated" at the lack of space, the court heard.
Urging the court to sanction the £1.5 million payout, Mr Oppenheim said: "The strain on this family is immense; bluntly it is at the point of breaking down. A move to a new home is essential as well as a stable care regime".
Women are routinely offered an ultrasound scan at around 20 weeks’ gestation, to check that the baby is developing normally. Unless any concerns are discovered this is the last scan they will receive before the birth
Abortion is allowed in Britain up to the 24th week of pregnancy. Beyond this a termination can only be sanctioned if the fetus has a severe disability, or of the mother’s life is at risk.
The NHS Trust is disputing the amount of the interim payment. The case was adjourned and a decision will be announced at a later date.
Posted by Moms For Life at 2:11 PM
"I Am Personally Responsible for over 75,000 Abortions"
*This video was made during the campaign to ban abortion in South Dakota. Bernard Nathanson repented of his ways and has became Catholic.*
Catholic Colleges & Universities Loyal to the Magisterium of the Catholic Church
- Aquinas College (TN)
- Ave Maria (FL)
- Belmont Abbey College (NC)
- Benedictan College (KS)
- Campion College (Sydney, Australia)
- Catholic Distance University
- Christendom College (VA)
- College of Our Lady of Corpus Christi (TX)
- College of St. Thomas More (TX)
- Dominican House of Studies (Washington, D.C.)
- Franciscan University of Steubenville (OH)
- Holy Apostles Seminary and College (CT)
- John Paul II Institute for Studies on Marriage and Family (Washington, D.C.)
- Magdalen College (NH)
- Notre Dame Graduate School of Christendom College (VA)
- Saint Joseph's College of Maine (ME)
- Southern Catholic College (GA)
- St. Augustine Institute (CO)
- St. Gregory's University (OK)
- Thomas Aquinas College (CA)
- Thomas More College of Liberal Arts (LA)
- University of Sacramento (CA)
- Wyoming Catholic College (WY)
Randall Terry, founder Operation Rescue, addresses the assassination of George Tiller. Mr. Terry urges the pro-life movement to not surrender words and actions under the heavy opposition from child killers and the Obama administration.
- Women for Faith and Family
- One More Soul ~ Spreading the Truth about the Blessings of Children & the Harms of Contraception
- Pope Paul VI Institute ~ Authentically Catholic Medical Institute for Fertility Problems
- The Alexander House ~ For Rebuilding & Strengthening Marriages
- Edith Stein Foundation ~ Medical Information on Contraception & Fertility Issues
- Retrouvaille ~ For Troubled Marriages
- Couple to Couple League ~ Natural Family Planning
- Pope Paul VI: Humane Vitae
Abortion ~ Facts and Information
- Rachel's Vineyard is a safe place to renew, rebuild and redeem hearts broken by abortion. Weekend retreats offer you a supportive, confidential and non-judgmental environment where women and men can express, release and reconcile painful post-abortive emotions to begin the process of restoration, renewal and healing. It is therapy for the soul.
- Hope After Abortion ~ The Catholic Church's post-abortion ministry
- Silent No More Awareness ~ An effort to make the public aware of the devastation abortion brings to women, men, and families
- Feminists For Life
- Abortion Facts
- Overpopulation Myths
- Abortion and the Black Community: BlackGenocide.org
- Second Look Project ~ Encourages those who are "pro-choice" to take a second look at their position on abortion
- The Elliot Institute ~ The leader in research regarding the after effects of abortion on women and men
- Priests For Life
Pregnancy Help & Hotlines
Help for Addictions
- Government, Law, & Political Responsibility. Click HERE to contact White House, U.S. Senate, House of Reps, Supreme Court, etc. See also Suggestions for Effective Letter Writing
- FOCA FACT Sheet & In-Depth Info to help EDUCATE those around you about this radical law that will increase the number of abortions and make it even more UNSAFE for WOMEN.
- Federal Legislative Action Center: Contact your STATE Reps. HERE. ~ Plus much MORE to help INFORM us in this VITAL fight against FOCA ~ We must ACT NOW!!!
- Spiritually Adopt a Pre-born Baby Today! Click HERE to learn more.
- Begin Planned Parenthood Fraud Investigation in Your State! Click HERE for Details.
Go On Retreat!
- Casa Maria Convent & Retreat House ~ Located 1 mile from EWTN, The Sisters of the Eternal Word's apostolate is prayer, catechesis, and retreats. They invite zealous and excellent retreat masters to share with you their experience and knowledge of our holy Catholic Faith. Casa Maria is blessed with devout priests who celebrate the Liturgy with great reverence. They encourage devotion to the Blessed Sacrament and love of our Blessed Mother, and they draw upon the rich musical heritage of the Church.
- Sisters for Life ~ Villa Maria Guadalupe ~ The retreat house hosts Evenings of Recollection, educational seminars on life issues and retreats for everyone (themes include Theology of the Body, Young Adult Retreats, Post-Abortion Healing, and retreats on the Dignity and Vocation of Women).
Books for Children
More Recommended Reading
- Abortion: Yes or No? by John L. Grady, M.D.
- Changed ~ Making Sense of Your Own or a Loved One's Abortion Experience, by Michaelene Fredenburg
- Ending Abortion Not Just Fighting It, by Fr. Frank A. Pavone, M.E.V.
- Evangelium Vitae (The Gospel of Life), by Pope John Paul II
- God Is Love, An Encyclical Letter of Pope Benedict XVI
- Humane Vitae: A Challenge to Love, by Pope Paul VI
- Is the Fetus Human? by Eric Pastuszek
- Led by Faith, by Immaculee Ilibigiza
- Left to Tell, by Immaculee Ilibigiza
- Living the Gospel of Life ~ the pastoral statement issued by U.S. Catholic Bishops
- Noise, by Teresa Tomeo
- Our Lady of Guadalupe, Hope for the World by Dan Lynch
- Render Unto Caesar, by Charles J. Chaput
- The Way to Love, by Anthony De Mello
- Won By Love, by Norma McCorvey